Saturday 5 July 2008

The Ambivalence of Closing Night

ahh... closing night. the very essence of ambivalence is encased herein. The smell of the grease-paint and the roar of the crowd... for the last time in this role. The illogical but inescapable feeling that you will never have as good a role/cast/show again. The enthusiasm and self confidence from your success, and the deflated flatness of the lastness of a last night. When I did Les Miserables, with much the same cast, I cried for two hours after the closing night.
This part has suited me really well. And the cast was just right for me... well the principles anyway. I shall miss it! and I shall miss the people too. And most of all, the chance to feel thoroughly important. Well not most of all. Part most, people next, importance second.

I must apply for a theatre school.

I must get back to writing too.

I must also get some sleep.

I told you I was ambivalent.


Pirate King
x

No comments: